Are we there yet? Are we there yet?

Traveling by bus is a much greener way to travel and can often be a less expensive option. For families conscious of their carbon footprint and looking to save money on their next trip, consider that on select routes, we offer discounted fares for children under 15. Traveling with children is not without its challenges. To help make your travel experience easier, and as stress-free as possible, the folks at Trailways who know what you’re in for have put together some helpful information on traveling with children.

Children’s Fares and Rules

Learn more about discounted fares, restrictions, and travel policies for traveling with children.

  • Children at least 2 years old, but who have not yet turned 15 may save you 5% off of the regular adult one-way or round-trip fare when accompanied by a qualifying adult. Children’s fare tickets may not be purchased separately, or without the accompanying purchase of an adult fare ticket.
  • One child who has not reached his/her 2nd birthday may travel for free.
  • The Company reserves the right to require proof of age.

Children under the age of 12 must travel with a passenger 17 years of age or older.

One child who has not reached their 2nd birthday may travel for free but but may be required to sit in the lap of the adult traveler if a seat is needed to accommodate a paying passenger.

Traveling with kids usually means that a car seat and stroller is part of your entourage. We don’t think that a diaper bag, a car seat, or a stroller should cost you an arm and a leg. So, each ticketed passenger may stow either 1 car seat or 1 stroller free of charge.

However, play pens, cribs, pack and plays, wagons, and similar items will count as one of your two complimentary pieces of stowed luggage. Additional luggage may be stowed for a fee.

For additional information about traveling with excess luggage please see Baggage Information.

Children traveling into Canada will need proof of citizenship such as a passport or birth certificate. Those under 15 must be accompanied by an adult. If a child is traveling with only one parent, they need to have a letter from the other parent giving consent for them to cross the border. (There’s no official format for this, just a letter with the other parent’s name, contact details and signature.)

Children traveling into the United States. will need proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate. Under U.S. law, children under 16 aren’t allowed to travel into the U.S. without an adult.

For more information about traveling to or from Canada, please visit International Travel.