Preparing for Your Trip
Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Here are a few tips for an easier ride when traveling with children:
- Be sure that both the unaccompanied minor and the parent/guardian receiving the child has a copy of the itinerary.
- If the trip is during meal times don’t forget to send the child with food or snacks in case they get hungry. Trailways does not have a meal service.
- Use Where’s My Bus? link so you can monitor the location of the unaccompanied minors bus for real-time location and status updates.
- Charge the unaccompanied minors digital device(s) before leaving for the terminal as there may not always be an outlet available.
- Be sure that the unaccompanied minor has the contact information for the parent/guardian receiving them at the final destination.
- For additional information about what to expect when a child travels alone, please review When Kids Fly Alone published by the U.S. Department of Transportation. We know its not about traveling by bus, but there are heaps of useful information.
Children’s Travel Policies & Restrictions
An easy to follow guide for policies & restrictions when travelling with children:
Children 17 years and older may travel unaccompanied, without restriction
Children age 12 through 16 may travel alone under the following conditions only:
- with an adult fare ticket purchased in person at the bus terminal (no online tickets); AND
- with an Unaccompanied Minor Form, which must be completed at the originating ticket-selling agency and signed by a parent, guardian or custodian.
- A fee is charged upon submission of the form.
This is in addition to the fare; AND
- on trips between 7:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m., which do not exceed 8 hours in duration, and do not require changing buses; AND
- to a destination where the ticket selling agency is open upon the child’s arrival; AND
- if a parent/guardian/custodian will be present to meet the child upon arrival at the destination.
- Children under the age of 12 must travel with a passenger 17 years of age or older.
- Border crossings are not allowed
*Trailways reserves the right to refuse unaccompanied children transportation. Also, please keep in mind that children’s fares will apply only to those fares that allow such a reduction. This means that for some fares and travel destinations, we are not permitted to offer discounts for children.