Traveling Internationally

*Information for Trailways US customers.  

Canada – we LOVE Canada! The U.S. and Canada are usually like one big happy family and we’re 100% behind you wanting to go visit. But before you go, you should know a few things:

All U.S. citizens arriving in Canada must have a valid passport or passport equivalent such as an Enhanced Driver’s License, NEXUS Card, Certificate of Indian Status. Canadian officials may also ask for the address of where you’ll be staying. Sadly the days of sauntering across the 49th parallel with just a Driver’s License are gone though there is some leniency with children. Travelers 15 years old or younger need only present a birth certificate or certified copy to Canadian Border Services.

For non-Canadian, and/or non-United States citizens, a valid Passport is always required. Depending upon the country of your citizenship, a Canadian Visa may be required. Complete information about traveling to our Canadian destinations may be found on at or

Visit for the most up-to-date information.

Some things work on both sides of the border. Your Driver’s License for instance. Unfortunately, your U.S. currency can be hit or miss. Many border towns and large metropolitan areas will accept U.S. currency, but it certainly isn’t widely accepted in smaller towns.

Consider making a currency exchange before your departure to avoid payment problems upon arrival at your destination.

If you have a criminal record, you might not get past the Canadian Border Services Agency. While Canadians are incredibly friendly and encourage Americans to come visit, they don’t just let anyone across the border.

Also, you should allow extra travel time, and be prepared for additional screening if you have a DWI or DUI, if you have expired or improper identification, or if you’re traveling with minors who are not your own.

Passengers denied entry at the Canadian border will be unable to continue with their trip and are responsible for arranging and purchasing return travel.

While Canada is known for having wonderful universal health care you should keep in mind that this only applies to Canadian citizens. If you’re visiting, you might want to check with your insurance provider to be certain you’re covered outside of the U.S.

Many plans don’t cover travel too far from your home state and Canada strongly encourages you to consider inexpensive travel health insurance to cover you during your stay.

Crossing the border by bus. It’s like flying, but without having to pack travel size toiletries. But, believe it or not, there are restrictions on some food items that you can bring with you when cross the border. Rules change often so please refer to the Canadian Food Inspection Agency page for more information.

Please review our Traveling With Animals page before traveling, as we do restrict travel to that of service animals only.


Return to FAQ page